23 September 2009

Why I don't go to the doctor when I get a certain kind of sick

I am tired of paying money to a doctor to have him or her say, "It's a virus.  Fluids and rest.  Have a nice day." 

I admit I prefer this to doctors who give you antibiotics every time you get sick, as research is showing how bad of an idea this is, but I still don't want to waste money to hear the same thing, which is, "I can't help you.  Leave."

Don't worry.  I may have half-flu symptoms and half-cold symptoms, but I don't have a fever.  I'm at my usual 98.1.  And money is really tight, so unless I spike a fever or have to miss work, I'm giving the doctor a pass and giving myself plenty of fluids and 12 hours of bed time.  I'm being good, see?


Do you frequently get cold/sinus viruses?  Frequently enough to be able to police yourself?  Anything you've found that really works for you?

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I rarely get that kind of thing anymore... I think it's because I've been working hard to eat better, get enough sleep, and remember to take my multivitamin over the past year or so. But when I feel myself coming down with something, I do my best to sleep extra and keep the fluids going.

    My daughter's doctor told me yesterday that although people are worried about H1N1, they're doing their best to encourage home care rather than doctor visits, since (as you've noticed) there's really not much they can do besides tell you to sleep and get fluids.

    Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete