16 September 2009

Beauty, harmony, longing

A journal I love has a slogan I think they borrowed from Flannery O'Connor: "Beauty will save the world."  I was thinking about that today after choir.

I have not yet discovered the term that describes the kind of harmony I talked about yesterday from "Caritas et Amor" that kind of makes me want to stop breathing and just listen, but I did think of another way to describe it for the non-musical.

Have you ever been outside on one of the last perfect days of summer when the sun is shining, and it's warm enough to be comfortable in shirtsleeves, and a very light breeze is barely shivering the leaves, and flowers are blooming, and you check ahead of you to be sure there are no bumps in the sidewalk, so you can close your eyes for a few steps and feel the perfection of that moment with every one of your other senses just in case it can be stored away and taken out and remembered four months into winter when you feel like summer was just a story someone told you once when you were young enough to believe it.

It's harmony kind of like that. 

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if God didn't somehow know that the world would be better for the transience of its beautiful moments. Makes me wonder what heaven will be like- is everlasting perfection enjoyable? Is it our brokenness that makes us find it perfection boring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that it's perfection we find boring so much as the false image of perfection we see around us. Are seemingly perfect people boring because we know they're not perfect, but they still pretend/seem to be? I do wonder about everlasting perfection. We'll be perfected one day, but I know that doesn't mean we'll be robots or anything. What will perfection really be for each individual? It's interesting to think about.

    ReplyDelete