13 September 2009

Eating healthy for unofficial cripples

One of the things I learned about chronic pain is that if it leads to sleeplessness and goes on long enough, it messes up your brain chemistry, and your body can't process nutrients and vitamins and stuff the right way anymore, so it's really important for people who suffer from chronic pain and insomnia to eat healthy!

How, exactly do you suppose one does so when one is crippled and thus can't really cook?  I suppose if one were also rich, one could by fresh, ready made healthy food all the time.  Unfortunately, I am not rich because I'm stuck in a crummy retail job due to being crippled and unemployable even when the economy wasn't tanking.  So I can't afford to by fresh, prepared food, and I can't buy fresh, raw food and prepare it.

My current solution is V8 Fusion (a nectar of the gods that technically takes care of most of my fruit & veggie requirements) and decent fiber/whole grain consumption via cereal.  Now I'm hearing that gluten can actually contribute to chronic pain, and there's no way I can cook gluten-free or afford to eat gluten free and still get enough whole grains and fiber and stuff.  I already eat less than the government food pyramid says I should, but I still maintain my weight (i.e. can't really lose any).  I think it must be that inefficiency at processing nutrients . . .

So, any suggestions on how to eat healthier on a strict budget with an inability to cook?  Any great foods you've found that don't require prep but are full of good stuff?  Any that actually save you money?

3 comments:

  1. How much prep work can you do? Can you use a knife and cutting board? A frying pan with a spatula? Throw stuff in a bowl and mix it together? I have a few easy "recipes" that might work for you, but it would be helpful to know what's available to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have time to prep food much, and I'm definitely on a budget. Fixing a whole healthy meal is depressingly difficult, but I can manage a frequent quick and (relatively) healthy snacks- here are some ideas for you. Even canned/frozen veggies are better than no veggies.

    whole-wheat bagels
    yogurt
    nuts
    100% fruit juices, cut in half with water to reduce sugar intake (cranberry & white grape are good this way)
    canned veggies (I like canned peas for some reason)
    frozen veggies (corn and cauliflower seem to survive freezing better than green beans, broccoli, and carrots, which get rubbery)
    canned baked beans
    microwave-baked potatoes (I like red best)
    whole wheat pita & hummus (if you can open a can and use a blender, hummus is quick and cheap to make, I can give you a recipe)
    microwave-poached eggs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some more general ideas:

    - salads with precut lettuce
    - canned beans
    - canned tuna and chicken
    - dried fruit
    - peanut butter
    - bananas, apples, grapes, green beans, baby carrots, pre-cut broccoli, cherry tomatoes, all for munching raw
    - hard boiled eggs
    - chicken or tuna salad
    - whole grains other than wheat, simmered in water on the stove (http://www.culinate.com/articles/features/grain_glossary)

    ReplyDelete