28 January 2010

Squares of sunlight

When I was flying away from my home to visit my parents, I was impressed by how cool all the snow looked from above. Then I neared other parts of the Midwest, and it was all sullen, boring brown from the air (where I could see through the clouds). From the ground, it wasn't much better.

Where I grew up, it's table-top flat, and the lack of any colors other than browns and grays--combined with temps hovering around freezing and a heavy cloud-cover--made looking outside a depressing endeavor. Good thing we had all the blinds drawn against the cold.

I had been looking forward to covering myself with a blanket and lying on the carpet in squares of sunlight all over my parents' house, which has more than one window (!). I actually found myself longing for the high, bright, pointless sunshine of my new home area further north.

When I came back home, I got my wish. It was sunny (above the clouds)! Then I landed, and it was, according to one temperature readout, + 0, and I wondered again if all the sunlight was worth it.

Today, when I finally found a place in my apartment (third floor game room) where--for a couple of hours on a totally clear day--there are squares of sunlight on the carpeted floor, I decided that I can handle adding another layer to walk outside if I can bask like that in January.

If you had to choose, would you want the sun and perma-snow and ridiculous cold and windows, or would you want the additional warmth and a perpetually overcast sky?

2 comments:

  1. I'd take the sunshine. Lately I've been dealing with ridiculous cold and a near-perpetually overcast sky- worst of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete