15 January 2010

second-hand sunlight

Is there any value in second-hand sunlight?  All sorts of research indicates that people in the cold northlands get depressed in the winter because they don't get enough sunlight, which helps the body produce some vitamin or chemical that can cause depression in its absence. 

I'm deficient in that particular vitamin.  Since my body and immune system are a tad screwed up due to years without proper sleep, I figure every moment in the sun could help.  It is pretty darned cold outside, so I thought I'd find somewhere to bask in the sun in the name of health.  My apartment's south-facing window is useless due to the south extension of the apartment building that blocks off the sun most of the time. 

I've taken to trying to sit for a while in the sun that comes through the windows in the pool room.  I felt very proud of my healthiness for a while.  Now I've been wondering if sun filtered through windows will make your body do its magic or if only direct sunlight will do.

Do you know if there's any physical benefit to second-hand sunlight?

2 comments:

  1. Paul says sitting indoors should be fine; at most the windows *may* filter some UV. You can get lamps/lightbulbs which help you make the happy chemicals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They cost money, though. :)

    I was researching insomnia, and they were mentioned as ways to help reset your internal clock if it gets off whack, too. I guess I didn't think about their vitamin-encouraging properties.

    Thanks, Paul.

    ReplyDelete