19 March 2010

Going gray gracefully

Do you ever wonder if the amount of gray/white/silver hair you have is normal? I sure do. Mostly I wonder because everyone my age who has any seems to dye their hair. Even my older sister dyes hers (unconfirmed accusation). I have no idea when she started.

My hair started going back in college, but my mom said it was a genetic gift from her mom. I think she said her mom's hair was all white by the time she turned 30. I was kind of looking forward to that because my excessively oily skin makes my face look younger, and white hair with that face would have been startling. It didn't happen, and I'm okay with that.

I can only think of one person I know who let her hair go gray without hiding it. How sad is that? Dye is so expensive I could never afford it, but even if I could, I'm too cheap to spend money on it. (And then agonize about when my face looks old enough that I need to get my hair dyed gray or risk looking really creepy . . .)

Why do you suppose people get so panicky about gray hair? Are you panicky about it?

How do you feel about going gray naturally? Are you planning on doing it?

P.S. Tonight's moon is a lovely silver Cheshire cat smirk.

2 comments:

  1. I plan on holding out on the hair dye for as long as I possibly can, out of both principle and laziness. I'm open to dyeing my hair blue or purple once I hit 80 or 90, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hair is going grey. I have some 30-inch long grey hairs, which means it's been at it for a while. I console myself by noting that it's a fairly pretty silver, and should show up with some interesting contrast against the rest of the dark hair. I don't plan to dye it. I won't mind looking a little older, I don't think. But yeah, sometimes it kind of freaks me out a bit. Fortunately, grey hair is getting cooler than it used to be.

    I have a t-shirt with a cheshire cat on it- the body is printed in uv-sensitive ink (and only shows up in bright sunlight), the eyes and smile show all the time, and the smile glows in the dark. Pretty cool, huh?

    ReplyDelete