16 October 2009

Tire pressure and sinus pressure

I have discovered another way I am like my car: sometimes we don't do well when the weather changes. 

Last year when fall and winter fought, and the temperature dropped, a warning light burned bright in my car, and the same thing happened this time.  The pressure in my tires was off, so I went to a gas station and tried to fix it.  I learned several valuable lessons from this experience.

  • There is a 75% chance that when I am unscrewing the air valve cap,  I will drop the air valve cap into the tire.
  • It is easy to pop part of the hubcap cover off to retrieve the cap.
  • It is easy to pop the hubcap cover back on if you know the trick (which does not involve kicking).  (I learned this one after cracking one hubcap cover with the help of a nice guy who was also at the gas station and noticed my cluelessness.  I hold him blameless.)
  • You can't tell if any air is actually going into your tire; you just have to believe.
  • Even if enough air goes in, you won't know until you drive your car for 15 minutes, according to the nice guy from the tire shop that was, in fact, still open.
  • There are nice people who will let you into the tire shop (the nice guy at the gas station pointed you toward) even though it is 5 minutes until closing, and they will stop vacuuming and come outside to check your tire pressure and fill the tire that is still low even though the freezing cold wind is blowing.  And then they will not charge you because you are obviously too pathetic, and, for once, you won't mind.

1 comment:

  1. I have been helped before too. I don't know if it was because I am female, or polite, or was obviously clueless, but I like to think it's just because there are nice people in the world. Only one of my past would-be helpers was clearly trying to hit on me.

    ReplyDelete