22 October 2009

Enough sleepless nights . . .

I'm reading No More Sleepless Nights at the moment.  I'm trying to be fair by reading all the parts, even the ones that don't seem to apply to me as much.  I mean, it may be obvious that my insomnia is caused by chronic pain, but I think it's spiraled into some sort of vicious circle fueled by stress and emotional difficulties that come from dealing with chronic pain, the government, and unaccustomed helplessness.  It's interesting.

I'm not sure it's designed to deal with people who've been having trouble as long as I have, though.  I mean, by now my memory is so shot that when I sit down to write up the various details you're supposed to at the end of the day, I don't remember anything.   Maybe the more I try, the more I'll be able to remember specifics?  We'll see.

Regardless, there aren't any quick fixes.  I already don't drink, smoke, or ingest much caffeine.  Well, I do love a challenge.  At least, I used to . . .

2 comments:

  1. Sleep deprivation is a genuine form of torture. And after only 5 months of it, I can definitely vouch for it doing bad things to the memory.

    Somewhere in the first month of parenting, when I was being woken up every 2-3 hours or so and having to sit there for half an hour feeding the baby without dropping her, I decided to try and keep track of how much she was sleeping and crying and stuff. I had very little luck writing stuff down, but when I started carrying a voice recorder that did a timestamp, it worked better.

    Are there any chapters for parents of young infants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, no, because the book deals with people suffering from insomnia of unknown (to them) cause. I liked your "without dropping her bit" because it really does show how hard sleep-deprivation hits you. People who haven't had it probably think you're kidding . . .

    I wonder if I could do a voice recorder like that. The ones I'd record at night would be especially hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete