16 October 2018

I would believe him


I would believe him
if he says
'I don't remember'
because who
remembers
every
      curiosity satisfied
      strength exerted
      small pleasure taken
      destructive act towards another
our brains 
do not 
work that way
I surely do not
remember, but
I hope 
      that I am wise enough to know
            that what I do or do not
                  remember does not change
                  what did or did not happen
                  to anyone else
      that when someone says
'you hurt me when you did this'
      that I will be humble enough and strong enough to remember and say
'I am sorry I did that to you.'
Can you forgive me? What
can I do 
for you 
to atone?'
      that I will not lash out
      that in the hot moment of shame
            when accused of wrongdoing
            I will not lie
            by saying it didn't happen
            simply because 
            I don't remember
as if I believed 
that what I remember
could possibly 
change reality
I don't believe that someone
who does not know this truth
of how the mind works,
      that what we remember is not reality,
should be given
power over others
to abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment